- Overindulge last night? Essential oils of Juniper, Cedarwood, Grapefruit, Lavender, Carrot, Fennel, Rosemary, and Lemon help soften the effects of a hangover. Make your own blend of these oils and use a total of 6-8 drops in a bath.
- Essential oils of Vetiver, Cypress, Cedarwood, Frankincense, and Myrrh all make wonderful firewood oil. Drop approximately 2-3 drops of oil blend of your choice or combination on a dried log and allow time for the oil to soak in before putting the log in the fire.
- Flies and moths dislike Lavender oil. Sprinkle it on your outside window frames.
- Place 1-2 drops of sleep enhancing oils such as Chamomile, Lavender, Neroli on your pillow before retiring for restful sleep.
- When moving into a new home, first use a water spray containing your favorite essential oils and change the odorous environment to your own. DO this for several days until it begins to feel like your space.
- Ideal scents for the bedroom are Roman Chamomile, Geranium, Lavender, or Lemon.
- 1 drop of Lemon essential oil on a soft cloth will polish copper with gentle buffing.
- When washing out the fridge, freezer, or oven, add a drop of Lemon, Lime, Grapefruit, Bergamot, Tangerine, or Orange essential oil to the final rinse water.
- For burns or scalds, drop Tea Tree oil directly on the affected area.
- Place 1 drop of Peppermint oil in ½ glass of water, sip slowly to aid digestion and relieve stomach upset.
Friday, June 22, 2007
Digestive aid, weak diuretic, mild stimulant, increases milk production in nursing mothers, eases colic in babies, clears lungs, in poultice reduces swelling.
Historical /Medical Uses
Demulcent, emollient, expectorant.Fenugreek is useful for all mucus conditions of the lungs. It aids digestion and increases milk production in lactating mothers. Recent studies indicate that fenugreek may lower blood cholesterol.
Migraine headaches, helpful in alleviating inflammation and discomfort of arthritis.
Allergies- hayfever variety, formation of small sores in the mouth, potential interaction with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), can inhibit the activity of platelets (blood clotting factor)
Soothes and softens irritant to membranes. Seeds once used for skin and mouth cancers; colds, cough, lung and urinary ailments, fevers; laxative; poultice (mixed with lime water) to relieve pain of bums, gout, inflammation, rheumatism, boils. Oil, a folk remedy used for pleurisy and pneumonia, has been promoted like Evening primrose oil
Do Not take flaxseed if you are on the following medicines: blood thinners, statins, Cyclosporine or NSAID's
Friday, June 15, 2007
A delicious blend of herbs for those romantic, exotic cozy moments
1 part damiana leaf
1 part chamomile
1 part lemon grass
1/4 part peppermint
2 parts rosehip
1 part jasmine flower
1 part orange peel
1/4 part lavender buds
Blend all ingredients together and sweeten with Stevia herb or honey.
Measure 1/4 cup of herb mixture to two cups of boiling water. Cover and let steep for three minutes. Enjoy it with someone you care about!
stimulates immunity mechanisms at infections and chronic inflammations
Do not use with immunosuppressive drugs. Should not be taken over two weeks.
Inner-bark tea as diuretic, strong laxative, emetic; poulticed on cuts, sore or swollen limbs,leaves made into poulticed on bruises, and on cuts to stop bleeding, fever reducer, stimulating sweating, mild stimulant.
Bark, root, leaves, and unripe berries toxic (cyanide poisoning), severe diarrhea
Specific for asthma, nasal congestion, sinus congestion, low blood pressure, energy, stimulant, kidney and bladder, arthritis
excites the function of the heart (rapid heart rate). Those with known heart condition, and are taking Amphetamine and Amphetamine derivatives,Antidepressants,
Aspirin, Blood Pressure Medications, Caffeine,Narcotics, such as morphine and codeine,Phenylpropanolamine (also known as norephedrine) Should NOT use this herb.
used as a steam inhalation. For its antiseptic and expectorating effect in bronchitis and influenza to relieve congestion. It is also serviceable in sluggish urinary tract infections of a chronic nature
Toxic in large doses, readily absorbable through the skin
Evening Primrose Flower
Antispasmodic,weight loss, hormonal balancing, menopause, PMS
May enhance effects of chemotherapy,should NOT be taken with ibuprophen (Motrin)
Anti- catarrhal astringent, anti-inflammatory. Eyebright is valuable in eye and vision weakness. AS a wash, it is used for inflammations and conjunctivitis of the eye. It has also been effective in removing mucus from the head and nasal area, making effective for sinusitis
You will need a couple of things from the health food store so here's your shopping list.
- 4 Oz bottle of carrier oil (almond, jojoba, olive, sunflower, or avocado)
- Essential oil of your choice (Pick a fragrance or oil to do what you want it to do)
- Vitamin E capsules
- Wash your hands thoroughly.
- Carefully open your bottle of carrier oil. Most have an inner liner, but not all.
- Empty two (2) 400 mg capsules of vitamin E into the carrier oil. This has preservative qualities.
- Add ten drops of essential oil into the bottle. If using Eucalytus oil NEVER add more than two drops.
- Recap bottle and swirl bottle between two hands until mixed.
Way to go! You've just created your first simple bottle of massage oil. This can be used for more than just massages. Add it to a tub full of water for a skin nourishing bath. This is a thin consistency oil and absorbs readily into the skin.
Come back again for more massage oil recipes!
Contain thymol, strong antiseptic, in ancient Mayan sulture it is said to enhance sexual prowess and balance hormones, tonic, stimulant, strengthens nerves, antispasmodic, antidepressant
One of the best diuretics available. It eliminates edema and dropsy without robbing the body of potassium. It is especially good for those with congestive heart failure. It is an effective weight loss program.
Drug interactions with Lithium, Antibiotics,and Quinolone (Cipro, Levaqin)
Dead Nettle Leaf
Astringent, expectorant, diuretic, vulnerary, anti-inflammatory. Useful internally in cystitis, leucorrhoea and particularly metrorrhagia, as a bowel regulator, it can be used to treat either diarrhea or constipation, in respiratory or nasal problems. Can be applied to wounds styptic and healing. It may also be applied to hemorrhoids and burns.
Drug Interaction with NSAIDs (Aspirin, motrin, tylenol, etc)
Antispasmodic, calmative, carminative diuretic, popular remedy for upset stomach, stimulates appetite, and a decoction of the seed may be helpful for insomnia as well as for pains due to flatulence. Nursing mothers can use Dill to promote the flow of milk, particularly in combination with anise, coriander, fennel, and caraway.
- To make a natural flea collar, saturate a short piece of cord or soft rope with Pennyroyal or Tea Tree oil, roll up into a handkerchief and tie loosely around animal’s neck.
- Shoes can be freshened by either dropping a few drops of Geranium oil directly into shoes or by placing a cotton ball dabbed with a few drops of Lemon oil into shoes. Great for Athlete’s foot? Tea Tree is great!
- Put a few drops of your favorite essential oil on a cotton ball and place in your vacuum cleaner bag. Lemon and Pine are nice. Rose Geranium helps with pet odors.
- To fragrance your kitchen cabinets and drawers, place a food scent dabbed on a cotton ball into an inconspicuous corner.
- Are mice a problem? Place several drops of Peppermint oil on a cotton ball and place at problem area.
- The bathroom is easily scented by oil-scented cotton balls in inconspicuous places, or sprinkle oils directly onto silk or dried flower arrangements or wreaths.
- Apply true Lavender oil and Tea Tree oil directly to cuts, scrapes, scratches. 1 or 2 drops will promote healing.
- Homemade soaps are pleasant and offer therapeutic effects when scented with essential oils. Use soaps, which contain pure essential oils.
- Homemade sachets are more fragrant when essential oils are blended with flowers and herbs.
- An essential oil dropped onto a radiator scent ring or light bulb will not only fill the room with a wonderful fragrance, but will also set a mood such as calming or uplifting. (Do NOT put essential oil in the socket.)